Orchestra Newsletter 11/27/17
- Our next Important Thing!
- Our holiday concert is Wednesday, November 29 at 7pm at the LNHS Auditorium. It will be full of holiday music. We look forward to seeing you there.
- Expectations for class.
- Please help your young musician make time for personal practice at home. This is a requirement, like homework for other classes. When we get together in our classroom, we are supposed to be putting the different parts together. For Sinfonia and Sonatina, students should practice 30 minutes at home to learn their parts and remember the lessons taught during the day. More time is expected for students in Concertino and Chamber orchestra.
- Club de Mariachi
- We are still looking for musicians for the Mariachi Program. Singers, violinists, guitarists are welcome. We meet weekly in Room 153 4 – 5pm.
- Tissues for Extra Credit. Yes. I am amazed at the number of students coming in to school who are ill. Bring in a box of tissues to earn extra credit.
- Orchestra Fees help pay for our sectional coaches so, please send your orchestra fees in right away. Make checks payable to LN Orchestra.
- Orchestra Booster Club. We need to start an orchestra booster club to help organize the following:
- Please send an email to me if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fundraiser for the orchestra
- Help fund trips to be inspired by the great orchestras available to us in our region.
- Help fund trips for the orchestra to participate in festivals just about anywhere.
- Help fund enhancements to our program, such as increased sectional coach time with renowned coaches, more activities that develop camaraderie within the orchestra.
- Chaperones for trips to festivals and competitions
- Assistance with uniform adjustments
- Decorations and signs to boost the spirits of the four orchestras.
- Private lessons:
- Private lessons are highly recommended for our any of students who want to excel at their level or make progress towards earning a spot in the Chamber Orchestra. Private lessons help at any level, regardless of how good you may be or how badly you feel you play. Really, the more you play, the better you play, and the more fun it is to play! Please let Mr. Valencia know your student’s interest and when they are available during school by using the following form on page 15 of the student handbook: http://lnorchestra.weebly.com/uploads/5/8/1/3/58131833/orchestra_handbook_2016.2017.pdf A list of private teachers is on the LN Orchestras Website or by following this link: http://lnorchestra.weebly.com/private-lessons.html
Director of Orchestras, Lawrence North High School
In Other News:
- Orchestra families have the opportunity to fundraise alongside LN Band families selling concessions at various LN Athletic events.
- The winter sports concession positions have been posted to CERVIS, our volunteer registration site. Check frequently for updates. Currently, the following positions are open:
- Girls JV/V basketball: Nov 28th – 2 positions open.
- Boys JV/V basketball: Dec 1st – 2 positions open.
- Girls JV basketball tourney: Dec 4th – 3 positions open.
- Girls basketball county tourney: Dec 5th – 4 positions open.
- All family members, 16 years of age and above, are welcome to participate. Each person receives $20.00 per shift, which goes directly into your student’s account, $30 for stand managers* (with training). Please note: There will be a limit of 3 signups per family until everyone has a chance to signup (no limit on Friday night football games). A message will be sent when families can sign up for additional shifts.
- Please contact Tonya Laudadio for more information. Email: email@example.com.
- To sign up: Go to www.lnband.com. Click on CERVIS (in the upper right hand corner). Create an account, or log in. Look the available shifts and sign up. Check back frequently for updates!
BREAKFAST SALE FUNDRAISER
- Orchestra families have the opportunity to fundraise alongside LN Band families helping at the Breakfast Table, selling concessions every morning in the LN commons.
- During the ECA/ISTEP testing window December 4 – 15, Gayle Cartwright not be able to work the table. At this time, people who do not work often are needed. We cannot afford to miss any days because we do not have enough volunteers. Please check your calendars and sign up for at least one slot during this window of time. Thank you!
- We need 3 adults each morning from 7:50 – 9:05. A $5 stipend is paid into your student's account for every morning you help!
- Go to the CERVIS link on the LN Band website and sign up.
SCRIP – Gift Card Fundraising
- Turn Everyday Shopping into Fundraising – no selling, just earning! Scrip is an ongoing fundraiser, which earns you money while you shop at all your favorite stores! Click here to find out how..
- The next Scrip order date for plastic cards is Tuesday, November 28.
- Now is the time to place orders for plastic cards for holiday gift giving! Only 3 dates to order: November 28, December 5, and December 12.
- Go to the Scrip website at www.shopwithscrip.com to place your order, enroll in PrestoPay, reload cards, search for special offers and more.
- Orders paid by cash or check must be received by Alison Goller in the band office by 2:00 pm on the order date. Online orders paid by PrestoPay must be made by 7:00 pm on the order date.
- The shipping fee on plastic cards is $8.50 for standard delivery. This fee is divided between everyone who placed orders for plastic cards on that date, and is deducted from any earned rebate. If you are the only person ordering cards, the entire shipping fee will be deducted from your rebate.
- For Scrip questions, please contact Kaye Schoenling KSchoenl@comcast.net or 317 709-0039.
- KROGER UPDATE: Kroger shoppers, please register your Kroger Plus Card and direct a percentage of your purchases to the LN Orchestra General Fund. We are listed as Lawrence North Orchestra # 10225. Register annually and benefit the orchestra with every purchase.