Click here for a PDF version of the Orchestra Newsletter
Orchestra Newsletter 4/3/18
- Information Meeting for 2019 Spring Break Trip to New York City.
- There is an information meeting on Wednesday, April 4 at 6:30pm in the LNHS Cafeteria for those interested in signing up and making this a great trip for our performing arts department. Students have been given these flyers.
- Our next Important Thing!
- We are preparing for our next concert, Wednesday, April 18 at 6pm at the Fall Creek Valley Middle School Auditorium. This is our contest preview concert and a huge showing at this concert and at our ISSMA contest will help get the students excited.
- Sinfonia and Sonatina: Students need to be at FCVMS at 5:00pm in the Band Room for attendance and tuning and a combined rehearsal prior to the concert that starts at 6pm. Students are required to stay for the whole concert which will finish around 9pm. They will write about the other pieces as part of a writing assignment for their grade.
- Concertino and Chamber: Students need to be at FCVMS at 5:30pm to tune their instruments and get to their assigned seats in the auditorium.
- The reason for the early start to the concert is that the school asked us to have the students home early so that they may rest well before the I-STEP testing which is taking place that week.
- Parent help needed for the concert on April 18.
- Four or five parents are needed to supervise young musicians in the FCVMS Performing Arts Rooms.
- Some parents to be available at an orchestra booster information table at the concert.
- ISSMA Organization Contest and State Qualification
- Sinfonia and Sonatina Orchestras will perform for ISSMA Organization Contest at Pendleton Heights High School on Saturday, April 21st, at 10:00am.
- Concertino Orchestra will perform for ISSMA Organization Contest at Pendleton Heights High School on Saturday, April 21st, at 1:00pm.
- Chamber/Full Symphony Orchestra will perform for ISSMA State Qualification at Warren Central High School on Friday, April 27th at 6:30pm.
- The itinerary will be forwarded soon.
- Expectations for class.
- Please help your young musician make time for personal practice at home. This is a requirement, like homework for other classes. When we get together in our classroom, we are supposed to be putting the different parts together. For Sinfonia and Sonatina, students should practice 30 minutes at home to learn their parts and remember the lessons taught during the day, most especially on days they do not have orchestra. They forget what they learned if they don’t practice. More time is expected for students in Concertino and Chamber orchestra.
- Club de Mariachi
- Mariachi will do a first concert sometime in late April or early May. Look for more details soon!
- Orchestra Fees help pay for our sectional coaches, music and transportation to contest. Please send your orchestra fees in right away!
- Orchestra Booster Club. The booster club is getting off the ground. We can use your help for the following:
- Next meeting on Tuesday, April 10, 6:30 pm in the Orchestra Room at LNHS. Please send an email to me if you are interested josevalencia@PROTECTED.
- Help organize a social activity for the orchestras.
- We would like to have a celebration bonfire in mid-May at Camp Belzer, and need help with organization and food preparation.
- Help with fundraising efforts to enhance our program, such as increased sectional coach time with renowned coaches, more activities that develop camaraderie within the orchestra.
- Chaperones for trips to festivals and competitions.
- Assistance with uniform fitting and adjustments.
- Decorations and signs to boost the spirits of the four orchestras.
Director of Orchestras, Lawrence North High School
Other Fundraising News:
BREAKFAST SALE FUNDRAISER
- Orchestra families have the opportunity to fundraise alongside LN Band families helping at the Breakfast Table, selling concessions every morning in the LN commons.
- We need 3 adults each morning from 7:50 – 9:05. A $5 stipend is paid into your student's account for every morning you help!
How to join in:
- Go to the CERVIS link on the LN Band website and sign up.
- Contact Gayle Cartwright gmjc031154@PROTECTED or 317-439-4020 with questions.
SCRIP – Gift Card Fundraising
- Turn Everyday Shopping into Fundraising – no selling, just earning! Scrip is an ongoing fundraiser, which earns money for your student’s account while you shop at all your favorite stores! Click here to find out how..
- The next Scrip order date for plastic cards is Tuesday, April 17.
- Check www.shopwithscrip.com frequently for special offers!
- You can purchase and download ScripNow at any time!
- Go to the Scrip website at www.shopwithscrip.com to place your order, enroll in PrestoPay, reload cards, search for special offers and more.
- For Scrip questions, please contact Kaye Schoenling KSchoenl@PROTECTED or 317 709-0039.
- KROGER UPDATE: Kroger shoppers, please register your Kroger Plus Card and direct a percentage of your purchases to the LN Orchestra General Fund. We are listed as Lawrence North Orchestra # 10225. Register annually and benefit the orchestra with every purchase.